rashbre central: siri, samatha, cortana and clippy

Friday 17 January 2014

siri, samatha, cortana and clippy


Although it was first being discussed several months ago, the new Microsoft equivalent of Siri is getting recent attention. I know the code name was Cortana, but it seems that the implementation is to get that name as well.

It's one of those names that, when googled, can get *ahem* more than one expects. I guess it's because it was also used in that popular game Halo, as the VGH* avatar for the Artificial Intelligence.

Some may have seen that Spike Jonze movie 'Her' about a guy who falls in love with Samantha, his Scarlett Johanssen voiced electronic personal assistant. In the freeze-frame below, that's Samantha in Joaquin Phoenix's shirt pocket.

If you switch the American female voice on in Siri, it'll give 'Samatha' short shrift. I didn't find it works so well with the UK voice, which has more of a male butler's tone.

But I suppose there'll be fun to be had when both Siri and Cortana are available together. Start a conversation with one of them, keep the other one switched on and see what they make of each other. It has to be done

I guess it's all moved on from Clippy the annoying Paperclip.

3 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....Oh,I had forgotten all about Clippy.....We've come a long way baby....!

rashbre said...

Naomi Yes - speech and gestures. Although even my car still has trouble if I speak to it to ask to show me the route home.

Doris said...

Oh jeez, I too had forgotten about clippy.