rashbre central: removing the Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility component can be a long scream

Sunday 9 February 2014

removing the Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility component can be a long scream

Yesterday I mentioned the Sufferfest videos. There's another good one called 'The long scream'. It's title came to mind when I was back in Windows world. I needed to install a new program. Windows wasn't having any of it.

"Unable to install because you have Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility component installed"

Really? I wonder what that is?

I hunted through the Uninstall programs part of control panel for the mystical beast.

Nothing showed.

Maybe a reboot?

Still nothing.

Google?

Oh, here we go, some technical articles about how to hack the registry to remove a certain key. This doesn't seem like a particularly on-piste method.

Another search and I found the name of the file that contains the "Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility component"

c2rint.msi (How silly of me not to have realised)

Now, do I have it on my computer?

Search c2rintmsi.

Yes, there it is. Now, not to delete it- I'll have to uninstall it.

Right click it, find the 'Uninstall' option and run it.

Sure, enough, it worked, and the "Office 15 Click-to-Run Extensibility component" uninstalled itself.

Now to try re-installing the new thing and this time it worked.

Then Microsoft Office said it had detected an error. Would I like it fixed automatically?

Huh? Yes, please

So I clicked the little repair button and it whirred away.

Then I noticed the Outlook and Word icons had disappeared from the taskline.

Then I noticed that the 'Repair' had deleted my entire MS Office setup.

That's when I particularly thought of the long scream.

Time to go for a bicycle ride.


No comments: