rashbre central: bikes designed to be cycled anti-clockwise

Monday 15 August 2016

bikes designed to be cycled anti-clockwise


I noticed that some of the USA Olympic cycling team have been riding around on a left-sided bike. By that, I mean that the bike chain is on the other side.

To start with I wondered if I was mistaken, but it's a definite thing this time around as part of the engineering. The design has been optimised for the direction that bikes go around the track in a velodrome.

I'm all for finding marginal gains, improving aerodynamics and so on, but I can't help wondering if this apparently yaw reducing optimisation is a little unbalanced compared with everyone else?

I assume there's no rules about this type of thing, although I seem to recollect that lightweight carbon frames and the use of disk brakes have previously caused issues when the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has taken a look.

Maybe it's all different for the Olympics?

No comments: