rashbre central: music delivery via sonos

Monday 12 March 2018

music delivery via sonos


I considered re-installing the various sound systems since the move but instead have gone for a major simplification. I decided to use the network as the signal carrier for general music. I had the new place installed with an ethernet backbone in the walls and it's time to start using it. A simple wireless access point per floor, plus enough signal to reach the garage and I can then use it to piggyback a music stream.

I'm using Sonos for the main rooms, via a simple wifi connection. Initialise the speaker, then plug it into the mains in the required room and go. The controller application integrates my music library (which is the Sonos re-index of my iTunes) and a bunch of streaming services, as well as radio and delivers the same or different signals to varied speakers. So far it all works from Mac client or iPhone.

There's also voice control along the lines of "Alexa, play Monday Coffee Playlist", "Alexa, play Sia This is Acting", "Alexa, play BBC Radio 6" which all seems quite effective and recognises the correct room/speaker set. It's good to get the music flowing again, and after the initial set-up, it's all pretty easy to use and modify.

No comments: